20 Feb 2013

Galisteo Basin Preserve

Saturday morning we tried to do a 7 mile round trip to an old ghost town near Glorieta. Unfortunately the only easy access was through private land and was closed. We drove around looking for another access point but no luck

Came across monuments from the Civil War Battle of Glorieta Pass - won by the Union. The Confederacy wanted access to the gold mines of Colorado and California. Note what someone could say were "orbs" in front of the Union monument





Most ironic quote from the battle:

"Come on and help me take that position or stay back and watch men who will"
Confederate Major John Shropshire, just before he was shot between the eyes

We eventually found by accident the Galisteo Basin Preserve - 50 miles of trails just up the road from our house







Since it's so close we've been going there frequently - short speed work, long runs and to allow Hudson to "pick up chicks"



The area reminds us of running at the Rio Grande Gorge in Taos





Friday I ran Atalaya Mountain - close to 8 miles with over 1,700'. Did it in 1h 54m and was impressed with myself - until I came home and saw I had done it in 1h 34m last May. Still, I knew it was a good effort since I rolled my ankle

Sunday went back with Maureen and improved the time to 1h 48m after a night of drinking. Obviously an even stronger run as I tripped and tumbled on the way down. Views from the summit





In Fantasy Hockey news I acquired Dustin Byfuglien (below) for Teddy Purcell